Saturday 10 March 2018

Snowy Lentil Soup Recipe


SNOWY LENTIL SOUP RECIPE


I love soup. I eat it as much as possible, almost every day for breakfast! I make a lot of variations of lentil soup, as it is super good cheap protein and tasty too! Butter up some bread and it's perfect for a cold day :)

I just happened to make this soup on a very snowy day (we're having a lot of them lately in the UK!), hence Snowy lentil soup. I probably wouldn't add snow to it as it won't bring any flavour to this recipe!

Ingredients:

Red Lentils
Dried Yellow Split Peas (I would boil these for about 20 mins in advance, or you can omit them)
2 x Parsnips (large)
3/4 Carrots
Vegetable Stock (Cubes or Powder) 
1 x Large Onion
Garlic (I don't use garlic in recipes but I would say 2-3 cloves)
Vegetable Oil
Boiled Water
Salt/Pepper

You can also add spices if you wish, my kids aren't fans of spicy food so I just add a little sriracha afterwards!


Prep:

If using the split peas I would simmer for 20 mins before starting this recipe. 

Peel and chop onions and garlic, saute in a large pan with a little oil (you can also use a little water instead of oil). Once the onions have turned see-through, add the peeled and chopping carrots and parsnips,  then lentils, split peas, stock cube/powder and cover with freshly boiled water to about 2-3 inches above the veggies. Bring to the boil then turn the heat down and cover with a lid for 20-30 mins.  Turn off heat and cool for about 10 minutes, blitz with a hand mixer/food processor, and get stuck in!





No comments:

Post a Comment